The Top 25
Ok. I want everyone who reads this to be vulnerable. No editing. No kidding. Post your Top 25 Most Played from your iTunes in the comments section. Just do it. Remark on mine as you deem necessary. I'm ready. Be brutal. Ask questions. Let's make it a dialogue.Criteria: List Song, Artist, Album, # times played, and last time played.
1. Girl on the Wing - The Shins - Oh, Inverted World! - 36 - 1/17/05
2. Blame it on the Tetons - Modest Mouse - Good News... - 35 - 9/21/04
3. Wishful Thinking - Wilco - A Ghost Is Born - 33 - 2/12/05
4. New Slang - The Shins - Oh, Inverted World! - 32 - 1/17/05
5. Rain - Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses - 29 - 12/24/04
6. Theologians - Wilco - A Ghost is Born - 27 - 2/12/05
7. Rock N Roll - Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll - 26 - 2/15/05
8. Don't Wanna Know Why - Whiskytown - Pneumonia - 25 - 2/14/05
9. Hummingbird - Wilco - A Ghost Is Born - 25 - 2/12/05
10. Handshake Drugs - Wilco - A Ghose Is Born - 24 - 2/12/05
11. Float On - Modest Mouse - Good News... - 23 - 10/6/04
12. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - The Arcade Fire - Funeral - 22 - 1/25/05
13. Homesick - Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street - 22 - 2/28/05
14. The Way We Get By - Spoon - Kill the Moonlight - 22 - 1/22/05
15. Waiting for the Kid to Come Out - Spoon - Soft Effects EP - 22 - 1/22/05
16. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell - 22 - 2/15/05
17. Walk on a Sunday Morning - Cheyenne - You Talk Like You've Seen a Ghost EP - 22 - 3/3/05
18. It's Only Time - The Magnetic Fields - I - 21 - 11/28/04
19. Balloon Maker - Midlake - Bamnan and Slivercork - 21 - 2/28/05
20. Some of Them Are Superstitious - Midlake - Bamnan and Slivercork - 21 - 2/28/05
21. Jesus, Etc. - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - 21 - 2/28/05
22. The World At Large - Modest Mouse - Good News... - 20 - 10/6/04
23. Suitcase - Over the Rhine - Ohio - 20 - 2/1/05
24. The Rescue Blues - Ryan Adams - Gold - 20 - 2/4/05
25. They Cannot Let It Expand - Midlake - Bamnan and Slivercork - 19 - 3/1/05
So there it is.










8 Comments:
on my way to being vulnerable... or maybe just vaguely confusing:
1. She Don't Want Nobody Near - Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts - 75 - 2/21/05
2. Diane - Guster - Keep It Together - 64 - 2/27/05
3. So Alive - Ryan Adams - Rock'n'Roll - 59 - 3/2/05
4. Do Miss America - Ryan Adams - Rock'n'Roll - 54 - 3/3/05
5. Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional - Spider-Man 2 - 50 - 9/27/04
6. Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - Give Up - 44 - 2/11/05
7. Debate Exposes Doubt - Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album 43 - 2/27/05
8. On The Table - A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder - 42 - 2/20/05
9. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Post Service - Give Up - 42 - 2/11/05
10. I was a Kaleidoscope - Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album - 41 - 2/12/05
11. Cuationers - Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American - 40 - 2/24/05
12. Most of us Prizefighters - A.C. Newman - 39 - 2/18/05
13. Brand New Colony - The Postal Service - Give Up - 39 - 2/20/05
14. New Slang - The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - 39 - 12/7/04
15. This House is Not For Sale - Ryan Adams - Love is Hell, Pt. 1 - 38 - 2/15/05
16. Love is Hell - Ryan Adams - Love is Hell, Pt. 1 - 38 - 2/15/05
17. Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows - Shrek 2 - 37 - 10/1/04
18. Angelina - Ryan Adams - 48 Hours - 37 - 2/14/05
19. Dear Chicago - Demolition - 36 - 2/27/05
20. This Is It - Ryan Adams - Rock'n'Roll - 36 - 3/2/05
21. Why You'd Want to Live Here - Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album - 35 - 2/12/05
22. Death of an Interior Decorator - Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism - 34 - 2/18/05
23. Wonderwall - Ryan Adams - Love is Hell, pt. 1 - 34 - 2/18/05
24. Let Go - Frou Frou - Details - 33 - 9/27/05
25. Closet - Pet Yorn - Music for the Morning After - 33 - 2/27/05
THOUGHTS: Songs I'm slightly embarrased appear in my top 25 - Vindicated (#5) Accidentally in Love (#17). It's like the radio borrowed my computer. I'm sometimes a sucker for sodapop sentiment.
She Don't Want Nobody Near, far and away #1... I don't think I have the dedication to listen to anything enough times at this point to knock this off the top spot. By way of explanation: this song came out when I was in dire need of some new Counting Crows, and it was the only new song they came out with at the time. I also considered using it as the basis for a photography project, and listened to it about 20 times before deciding not to.
I completely stand by how represented Ben Gibbard and Ryan Adams are in my top 25. Regardless of what idiots might think.
I'm curious as to why Closet is on my top 25, though barely, and am very curious as to what in the world Pete Yorn is talking about. (I'm guessing it makes the list b/c he says at the beginning "this is a song called closet" and I probably thought that was hilariously stupid and worth listening to often.)
Ok, I guess I use ITunes way less than I realized,b/c my number one song has been played a grand total of...8 times! And according to this list, my fave artists are Billy Joel and Kylie Minogue. So, I'm choosing to post my top 10, b/c after that pretty much everything is even at a play count of 2 or 3. I couldn't even tell you what that Arcade Fire song sounds like, and I don't even know what my #8 song is- I think it was a free download or something. I guess I'm just much more of a CD/streaming radio kinda girl. Anyway:
1. She's Got a Way - Billy Joel - Greatest Hits - 8 - 1/29/05
2. Trouble - Ray LaMontagne - Trouble - 6 - 1/29/05
3. Middle Man - Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales - 5 - 3/4/05
4. Come into My World - Kylie Minogue - Fever - 4 - 1/31/05
5. Everlasting Love - U2 - The Best of 1980-1990/B-Sides - 4 - 1/29/05
6. Muzzle of Bees - Wilco - A Ghost is Born - 4 -1/25/05
7. Wash Away - Joe Purdy - Julie Blue - 4 - 11/14/04
8. Breathe (2AM) - Anna Nalick - 3 - 1/29/05
9. This Must Be The Place - Arcade Fire - Live at TT the Bears - 3 - 1/15/05
10. Window - Guster - Live - 3 - 11/22/04
well, i've posted mine here. i didn't realize that everyone posted theirs as comments.
I feel like I should get a few explanations as well, since everyone seems to be ruling out at least one entry and adding a few that should be there.
Ever since September, I haven't had my iPod playing in my car, and I have been listening to CDs more. I have gotten to listen to my iPod less and less lately. I also switched from PC to Mac in May, and lost my previous top 25.
1 glaring omission from the past:
Fly by Nick Drake. It was my #1 on my PC, and it's just out of the top 25 now. Two others are "Hard to Explain" by the Strokes, and "Sooner of Later [One of us Must Know]" by Bob Dylan off Blonde on Blonde.
I have no omissions I'd like to make, but I must say that if CD listens count, the whole Midlake CD would take the top 14 spots. LIke Katie is for Eisley, Melody is for Patty Griffin, and Brett is for Gibbard & Co. and Ryan Adams, I am for Midlake.
Go Denton!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Extremely good idea...if you have itunes on your computer...which I do...I've always had it hoping to get an Ipod or something similar...which I haven't...that will be the subject of a future entry.
My top 25 songs on my itunes player, as of 03/04/05, no editing:
1. Every Double Life* - The New Amsterdams - Never You Mind - 31 - 12/30/04
2. Transitor - 311 - Transitor - 27 - 2/15/05
3. We Laugh Indoors* - Death Cab for Cutie - 25 - 12/2/05
4. Cosmonaut* - At the Drive In - Relashonship of Command - 24 - 2/9/05
5. 405 (Accoustic) - Death Cab for Cutie - 24 - 12/30/04
6. One By One All Day - The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - 23 - 2/11/05
7. Lockdown - Less than Jake - Losing Streak - 22 - 2/4/05
8. Pretend to Be The Same - Slick Shoes - The Biggest and the Best - 22 - 12/2/04
9. Mistakes and Regrets* - And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Madonna - 21 - 11/21/04
10. In Spite of the World* - The Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts, Next 12 Exits - 21 - 3/1/05
11. Company Calls - Death Cab for Cutie - We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes - 21 - 2/7/05
12. What Happens Next - Slick Shoes - Burnout - 21 - 2/7/05
13. All My Best Friends Are Metalheads* - Less than Jake - Hello Rockview - 20 - 2/4/05
14. Pepper - Millencolin - Pennybridge Pionners - 20 - 1/17/05
15. San Francisco - Mu330 - s/t - 20 - 2/28/05
16. Responsible - Slick Shoes - Burnout - 20 - 1/24/05
17. A Better Place, A Better Time* - Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb - 20 - 2/28/05
18. Look What Happened - Less than Jake - Borders and Boundaries - 19 - 2/9/2005
19. Food (A.K.A. Aren't You Hungry - Reggie and the Full Effect - 19 - 10/27/05
20. For Better, For Worse* - Slick Shoes - Burnout - 19 - 2/4/05
21. A Movie Script Ending - Death Cab For Cutie - The Photo Album - 18 - 12/8/04
22. Erin With An "E"* - The Impossibles - Anthology - 18 - 1/31/05
23. Sugar in Your Gas Tank - Less Than Jake - Losing Streak - 18 - 1/17/05
24. Consequential Apathy* - RX Bandits - Progress - 18 - 12/5/04
25. Fighting In A Sack - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow - 18 - 2/11/05
*Appears on my all time favorite songs mix...see earlier entry
Some preliminary notes:
It is importiant to remember that I do not have an ipod...this list only represents songs that I've listened to while at my computer. When I'm at my computer I am either studying, blogging, or making mix cds. Thus, my list is biased towards good study songs or songs that are on mix cds that I have made. I occasionaly get "obsessed" with a single song, but most often that happens while I am listening to a cd in the car or on my portable cd player, and not at the computer. However, this does explain why "Tranistor" is at #2, I was just sitting at the computer, putting it on a mix, and I ended up playing it for an hour straght because I was rocking out.
Because I listen mostly to cds, in my car, some bands that I listen to more than others are way underrepresented (RX Bandits highest song is #24, but I listen to them as much as anyone, no Mars Volta yet I spent the whole summer listening to them last year). "Good driving music" is the most underrepresented, since I'm never at my computer while driving, thankfully...allthough there are some streches of 35 between here and San Marcos where pulling out my computer and typing something up is a tempting, yet dangerous and idiotic option. But, if you keep the limitations in line, then this is a pretty good representation of the music I listen to while at the computer. You'll also note that many of the songs are also on my all time favorites mix cd...which can be explained both by the fact that I was listening to them to put on in the right order on the mix, as well as the fact that I can listen to those songs over and over again and not get tired of them. "We Laugh Indoors", "For Better For Worse" and "A Better Place, A Better Time" are 3 of my 5 favorite songs of all time.
Eventually I may add a quick brief explaining each song.
- Jordan
It is interesting that our Top 25 says something particular about our computer listening habits.
Sometimes I wish I had my iPod in my car, just so I could get "credit" for the songs I listen to everyday during my commute.
Just to show you how anal I can be, the other day, I thought of going through and playing through songs I listen to a lot in the car, just to pad their stats a bit. I need help.
1 It's Only Time - The Magnetic Fields
2 Now It's On - Grandaddy
3 The End Has No End - The Strokes
4 Time Steals the Day - Milosh
5 Run Run Run - Phoenix
6 Mr. Zebra (Reworked Greatest Hits Version) - Tori Amos
7 Cherry Blossom Girl - Air
8 All at Sea - Jamie Cullum
9 I Don't Believe You - The Magnetic Fields
10 In a state - U.N.K.L.E.
11 Paper Bag - Fiona Apple
12 Easy - Groove Armada
13 Poor Leno - Röyksopp
14 Kissing the Lipless - The Shins
15 Miracle Drug - A.C. Newman
16 Everything In Its Right Place - Christopher O'Riley
17 Better Version of Me - version 4 rough mix 02/18/04 - Fiona Apple
18 I Don't Really Love You Anymore - The Magnetic Fields
19 I Looked All Over Town - The Magnetic Fields I
20 Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson
21 I'm An Actor - Phoenix
22 Danny Boy - Rufus Wainwright
23 Ms Jackson (cover) - The Vines
24 I Think I Have A Chance With This Guy - What's Her Face
25 The Go In The Go-For-It - Grandaddy
Hey guys. There's my list. Good Lord it's bizzare. I mean, this is stuff that may have played when I wasn't in my room or something. In fact, it says I listened to the magnetic fields song like 20+ times. I couldn't tell you the tune. Alas, some of my favorites are on there right now. (Chartsengrafs by Grandaddy and Paper Bag by Fiona Apple, to name a few. I think I actually love them.) Anyway, I've posted my list on my blog (mattclack.blogspot.com) to so you should comment directly there.
Post a Comment
<< Home