Cover-rama
So, when the interwebs blow up about some music, they usually blow up about cover songs. What is it about a cover tune, you might ask? Well, I'll try to take a stab at it.The genius of the cover song lies in its familiarity and its novelty. A song generally gets covered because it has struck a chord in the life of the artist reinterpereting it, so the artist serves as a tourguide to the great songs of the past. Hearing an old song in a new way is a win for the artists and the listeners. The artists get their names out, the listeners hear a "new" song with an old comfort to it.
Here are some of my favorites circulating the world wide nets right now.
Sun Kil Moon - Ocean Breathes Salty [Modest Mouse Cover] Sun Kil Moon has put out two albums of all cover songs, a 2001 album of AC/DC covers, 'What's Next to the Moon,' and now comes the Modest Mouse cover album, 'Tiny Cities.'
Jose Gonzales - Heartbeats [The Knife cover]
Jose Gonzales - Love Will Tear Us Apart [Joy Division cover]
[links via Pimps of Gore]
And here's one of my favorites from last year:
The Arcade Fire - Born on a Train [magnetic fields cover, link via purevolume]
Previously...
What's your favorite cover song of all time?
The Ultimate Punk Rock Cover Song Project

3 Comments:
Haha. I'm so serious...The other day (after listening to Sun Kil Moon) I was going to suggest you do an entry about your top 5 covers. Great minds think alike. I think mine would include Tori Amos "Love Song", Ryan Adams "Wonderwall" Jimi Hendrix (oh and DMB) "All Along the Watchtower" and I better stop there cause I'm on the Brookings's dime still
It's your sister again. Since this is a music blog, I thought I'd pass along another up and coming artist out of Denton.
http://www.paigewood.com/music_shows.html
i agree. folks love their covers, none more than I do!!
Post a Comment
<< Home