Saturday, September 10, 2005

DITC #3: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead/Stand By Me



For #3 album/movie combo from the 80s, I chose to darken things up a bit. The Smiths' "The Queen is Dead" has a great mixture of sad lyrics and happy music. That was the brilliance of the Smiths: Johnny Marr's upbeat guitars and Morrissey's melancholy lyrics. This album probably captures the Smiths at their best.

Similarly, the genius of "Stand By Me" is the mix of action, humor and depth used by Corey Feldman, River Phoenix and Jerry O'Connell as they go on a search for a dead body. This film is classic in so many different ways: young stars at the beginnings of their careers (Kiefer Sutherland also appears), the movie is so moving, and it's all from a Stephen King short story. Much like "The Queen is Dead", Stand By Me does darkness with aplomb and the result is a melancholy masterpiece.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger KSullie said...

Thats funny...I just watched Stand By Me for the first time ever last week. Good movie. I love the title of your blog by the way...very clever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home