"Hallelujah was a Hoodrat/Now you finally know that."
Concept Album Alert!I got The Hold Steady's "Separation Sunday" [itunes, insound] off of emusic.com back in April or May, and I was really intrigued by the intricately crafted lyrical acrobatics, the song-by-song story development, and the obvious underbelly of youth culture/Christianity dichotomy running throughout the album, but the classic rock guitars really turned me off, and I never absorbed it.
Then yesterday, I heard
NPR's story on The Hold Steady, and I was reminded about all of the things I love about this album. I mean, any album that remains listenable, but also needs Annotated Lyrics is definitely a unique piece of work.
The album follows a girl named Hallelujah [Holly for short] through her days as she dances on the wire between sin and grace. She is equally pulled by the world, filled with drugs, parties and shady characters, and the Church, filled with grace-soaked sinners and saints, partying priests and redemption. Fascinating stuff.
I mean, anyone who can write a song about a Catholic girl "coming to" in a confessional booth after blackout night of partying is onto something.
Check it out for yourself.
Song and Annotated lyrics to "Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night"
Song and Annotated lyrics to "Cattle and the Creeping Things"
Your Little Hoodrat Friend [regular ol' impy three]

2 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doug Christie was released by the Magic yesterday. Do you think that when he tells his wife that he got released it will play out like the scene in "Any Given Sunday" when Dennis Quaid gets slapped by Lauren Holly?
Doug: "Everybody's been telling me what to do, ever since college, this is not your decision."
Mrs. Christie (slaps Doug): "I will not listen to this [expletive] from you, I will not."
Doug: (points in the air to say hi to his wife)
Post a Comment
<< Home